Remove What Doesn't Work

The paradox of the creative is that it showers us with ideas, images, sounds, in great abundance, and we are only able to truly interact with a tiny portion of what is offered.

In order to truly see the vastness, we must embrace the small, and the other way around.  When I get really fired up, words flow out of me with a force that is like that of a spring out of the rock.  on and on the ideas come, I write as fast as I can trying to keep up.

In the end, I need to narrow it down to what is going to get the idea across, not always the complete idea but enough to engage the reader and keep her in the flow with me.  

What works and what doesn't work?

What works is being able to truly have the vision in your mind, to feel it as a living being.  Then, like a horticulturist, to prune away anything that doesn't add to what you are saying.  Let yourself imagine that you are reading the things you write, as another person who doesn't know you.

That reader is the other side of the message.  The task of the writer is to go as far as possible with the idea, and then to step back enough to gain detachment that will allow for a channel to be created between author and reader.

What channel is going to work best?

If you want to see beautiful flowers, you don't go to a broccoli field.  If you want to smell the ocean, you don't go to Colorado.

Where will your message grow, and how can you shape it into the most effective form?  When I work with authors as the editor, I ask all of the questions I can to get a feeling for how to shape the flow of words to suit the ideas the writer has in mind, and to support the way they will be moved into the mind of the reader.

Visit my web site 
to learn more about what I do and how I do it.  
I'm ready to take away what doesn't work, and let your truth be seen. 
 
All my best, always,
Betty





.





Comments